WHAT IS NATIONAL PENSION SCHEME (NPS)
What is NPS meaning? NPS or National Pension Scheme refers to a defined contribution pension scheme which has been launched by the GOI. The regulatory body for this is Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA).It broadly covers the following objectives:
- Provide old age income
- Reasonable market based returns over the long term
- Extending old age security coverage to all citizens
National Pension Scheme allows you to choose from any one of the Pension Fund Managers (PFMs) appointed by the PFRDA to manage your pension fund, list of PFMs is available in our website. Further, NPS also offers you two approaches to invest in your account- Active Choice and Auto Choice.
One of the core attribute of National Pension Scheme is portability of PRAN across sectors and geographies. This implies that you can shift your PRAN from one sector to another, e.g. Central Government to Corporate sector, State Government to Central Government etc. National Pension System has a multi layered Grievance Redressal Mechanism which is easily accessible, simple, quick, responsive and effective.
PFRDA has appointed NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Ltd. as the Central Recordkeeping Agency (CRA) for NPS.
Planning for Retirement is of Paramount importance as:
- Regular source of income in the form of Salary dries up.
- Average life expectancy has increased, thus many post retirement years to be accounted for.
- Increasing cost of living and medical expenses.
- After toiling hard for years at work, you deserve to pursue your passions and unfulfilled desires (eg. travelling abroad for vacation)
How to plan?
- Plan early
- Start with small contributions which can grow gradually depending on your capacity to contribute.
- Keep contribution towards pension/ retirement as a part of the monthly expenses/ investments among others such as Rent/ EMI, Groceries, Investment, Shopping etc to ensure it does not affect your regular expenses.
- Have set timelines and goals in your mind
- Choose product which are in line with your expectations and risk appetite.
There is one product which aims to provide Pension –NPS
NPS is a voluntary contribution system where the pension amount is based on the contributions made by the investor.NPS is an investment which provides investors an option to avail decent market based returns over long term. Periodic contributions will get invested through PFRDA appointed Pension Fund Managers (PFMs) chosen by the investor in a combination of asset classes as per the choice of investor.
Benefits of Joining NPS
It is voluntary- NPS is open to every Indian citizen. One can choose the amount you want to set aside and save every year.
It is simple all one has to do is to open an account with any one of the POPs and get a PRAN.
It is flexible- One can choose their own investment option and Pension Fund Manager and see your money grow.
It is portable- One can operate their account from anywhere in the country, even if there is change in city, job or selected pension fund manager.
It is regulated- NPS is regulated by PFRDA, with transparent investment norms and regular monitoring and performance review of fund managers by NPS Trust.
Low Charges: All charges levied under NPS are defined and regulated by Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) to ensure reasonability of charges
Average return generated by schemes