ELSS Schemes offer Tax benefit u/s 80C and are also the best instrument to earn higher returns. One can invest Maximum Rs. 1,50,000 and save tax under sec 80C. ELSS Mutual funds have a lock-in period of 3 years unlike most other with lock in of 5 Years or more. One can opt for lumpsum as well as Monthly systematic investment which reduce the problem of hasty decision of saving tax during the financial year end.
Here are few tips which will help you to choose the best ELSS Funds.
Past Performance and Age of the fund: Past performance speaks tremendous about one’s ability and likelihood for success. Definitely past performance can’t guarantee future returns , but it gives you indication of how the fund manager was able to generate returns during ups and downs of market cycle, You can get a clear picture about the returns generate were because of bull market run or the strategies used by the fund manager.
However it is only possible with the funds which has track record of more than 5 years where a full market cycle get
covered, new funds can only be judged based on the objective of the fund as well as fund allocation.
Consistency: This is very important for the people who have an investment time horizon of medium or long term, a fund can’t be judged based on its 1 year or 6 months returns.
For example, a fund which is consistently giving 12% returns is better than a fund occasionally giving 20% returns. While selecting a fund, higher return should be the criteria but consistency of return should be equally important.
Details Taken from period Dec 2013 to Dec 2018
Market Cap allocation: ELSS Funds are free to choose their allocation in equities; however you should also give certain weightage while selecting a fund basis your risk profile. A fund, having higher exposure towards large cap will take care of a moderate client’s risk profile, similarly, one should see what kind of allocation the fund has given to mid and small cap to assess the risk return trade off.
XIRR of the fund: XIRR helps in calculating the internal rate of return for scheduled cash flows. Many of us don’t have lump sum amount to invest hence choose to invest periodically. By calculating the XIRR we can further filter best funds.
Let’s look at the top performing SIPs on the basis of 3 year XIRR.
SIP Performance of the funds for last 3 years
Rolling returns are the annualized returns of the scheme taken for a specified period (rolling returns period) on every day/week/month and taken till the last day of the duration. We are showing the annualized returns over the rolling returns period on every day from the start date and comparing it with the benchmark.
Note * : Fill all the fields on the above Income Tax Calculator
Income tax is not an unknown subject to any income earning person. Knowing the tax liability in advance helps an individual in tax planning. Karvy Value offers a simple calculator to calculate the tax liability of any individual post deductions offered under the income tax act. This would be helpful for the individual to invest in the required tax saving options.
How to use this calculator?
You need to input the following details to get the desired results:
- Assessment Year – Choose the assessment year for which you want to know the tax liability. Ex: AY 2017-18, AY 2016-17, etc. AY 2017-18 is also known as FY 2016-17.
- Age – Select your age
- Gross Salary – Choose the gross salary as mentioned by your employer.
- Transport Allowance – Enter the transport allowance offered by the employer. Exemptions are allowed as per the applicable rules. Any changes in yearly budgets need to be factored in.
- HRA Exemption – House Rent Allowance (HRA) as offered by the employer needs to be entered. Exemptions differ based on the city you live in i.e. metro or non-metro.
- Section 80C Deduction – Deduction is allowed up to Rs. 1.5 lakh per financial year. It is subject to change, though.
- Section 80D Deduction – Enter the health insurance premium, if any.
- Section 80E Deduction – Enter the amount of education loan premium, if any. There is no limit on the deduction available for education loans.
- Interest on Home Loan – Any interest paid on home loan can be availed as deduction u/s 24.
- Other Deductions – Enter any other deductions, if applicable
- Click on Calculate to know the total amount of tax payable for the year.
By knowing the amount of tax payable in advance, proper tax planning can be done so that further tax saving options can be explored to minimize the total tax payable.
Invest Online: Safer, Smarter and Swifter way
Karvy online presents to you an investment platform to manage and track your Mutual funds investment on the go.
- Online investment is through a secured gateway and thus is safe, hassle free and paperless.
- Both purchase and redemption can be done online and redemption proceeds are directly credited to the linked account.
- With Low bandwidth offering for usage on mobiles and Web based version allows you to Buy/Sell MF products any time and on the go.
- It provides you a single view of your entire investment universe.
- Online payment confirmation and AMC statement can be used as a proof of investment in case of tax saving investments.
With lot of benefits attached with online investment apart from being SAFE, it certainly is the new SMART and SWIFT way of investing.